Career and Education Opportunities for Law Professors in Antioch, California
There are many career and education opportunities for law professors in the Antioch, California area. Law professors generally teach courses in law.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Law professors earn more than people working in the category of Postsecondary Education generally in California and more than people in the Postsecondary Education category nationally. Jobs in this field include: faculty member, legal writing professor, and college professor.
There are sixty-four schools of higher education in the Antioch area, including four within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree to start your career as a law professor. The most common level of education for law professors is a first professional degree. It will take two years to learn to be a law professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or about six years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Law Professor
In general, law professors teach courses in law.
Law professors evaluate and grade students' class work and oral presentations. They also collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. Equally important, law professors have to initiate and moderate classroom discussions. They are often called upon to ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. They are expected to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. Finally, law professors participate in student recruitment and placement efforts.
Every day, law professors are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for law professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. They also decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks. They are sometimes expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head. Somewhat less frequently, law professors are also expected to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Law professors sometimes are asked to ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as civil procedure and torts. They also have to be able to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry And finally, they sometimes have to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
Like many other jobs, law professors must be able to absorb the factors involved and a problem and provide a well thought out solution and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Law Professor Training
John F Kennedy University - Pleasant Hill, CA
John F Kennedy University, 100 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-4817. John F Kennedy University is a small university located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,511 students. John F Kennedy University has a post-master's certificate program in Law which graduated thirty-four students in 2008.
University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA
University of the Pacific, 3601 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95211-0197. University of the Pacific is a medium sized university located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 6,251 students and an admission rate of 69%. University of the Pacific has a doctor's degree program in Law which graduated 294 students in 2008.
University of California-Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
University of California-Berkeley, , Berkeley, CA 94720. University of California-Berkeley is a large university located in Berkeley, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 35,353 students and an admission rate of 23%. University of California-Berkeley has 2 areas of study related to Law Professor. They are:
- Legal Studies, bachelor's degree which graduated 12 students in 2008.
- Law, professional degree which graduated 291 students in 2008.
Humphreys College-Stockton - Stockton, CA
Humphreys College-Stockton, 6650 Inglewood Ave, Stockton, CA 95207-3896. Humphreys College-Stockton is a small college located in Stockton, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 811 students. Humphreys College-Stockton has a professional degree program in Law which graduated ten students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.