Career and Education Opportunities for Agriculture Professors in Antioch, California
Many educational and employment opportunities exist for agriculture professors in the Antioch, California area. In general, agriculture professors teach courses in the agricultural sciences.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $79,682 per year in California, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Compared with people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education, people working as agriculture professors in California earn more. They earn more than people working in the overall category of Postsecondary Education nationally. People working as agriculture professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: teacher, animal science professor, and agronomy teacher.
The Antioch area is home to sixty-four schools of higher education, including five within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree as an agriculture professor. Given that the most common education level for agriculture professors is a Doctoral degree, you can expect to spend four or five years training to become an agriculture professor if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or eight to ten years if you have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Agriculture Professor
In general, agriculture professors teach courses in the agricultural sciences. They also includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
Agriculture professors keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, agriculture professors have to collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues. They are often called upon to formulate and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction. They are expected to participate in campus and community events. Finally, agriculture professors ready and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as crop production and soil chemistry.
Every day, agriculture professors are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to speak clearly. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for agriculture professors to act as advisers to student organizations. They are often called upon to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments. They also furnish professional consulting services to government or industry. They are sometimes expected to write grant proposals to procure external research funding. Somewhat less frequently, agriculture professors are also expected to decide on and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
They also have to be able to maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students and serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies and academic issues. And finally, they sometimes have to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
Like many other jobs, agriculture professors must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Communication Professor. Teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- Elementary School Teacher. Teach pupils in public or private schools at the elementary level basic academic, social, and other formative skills.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Agriculture Professor Training
Las Positas College - Livermore, CA
Las Positas College, 3033 Collier Cyn Rd, Livermore, CA 94551-7650. Las Positas College is a medium sized college located in Livermore, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,098 students. Las Positas College has 4 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Agricultural Production Operations, Other Specialties, associate's degree and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, one to two year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, associate's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, associate's degree.
Diablo Valley College - Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Rd, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Diablo Valley College is a large college located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,768 students. Diablo Valley College has 2 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, less than one year and two to four year which graduated two and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, one to two year and two to four year which graduated five and zero students respectively in 2008.
University of California-Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
University of California-Berkeley, , Berkeley, CA 94720. University of California-Berkeley is a large university located in Berkeley, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 35,353 students and an admission rate of 23%. University of California-Berkeley has 2 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Agricultural Economics, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated six and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
- Range Science and Management, master's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
Merritt College - Oakland, CA
Merritt College, 12500 Campus Dr, Oakland, CA 94619-3196. Merritt College is a medium sized college located in Oakland, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 7,025 students. Merritt College has 4 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, less than one year which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, less than one year, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated fourteen, seventeen, three, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, one to two year, associate's degree, and two to four year which graduated one, one, and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Agriculture, Agriculture Operations, & Related Sciences, Other Specialties, two to four year.
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has 8 areas of study related to Agriculture Professor. They are:
- Agriculture, associate's degree.
- Agribusiness/Agricultural Business Operations, associate's degree and two to four year which graduated three and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Animal/Livestock Husbandry and Production, two to four year.
- Crop Production, two to four year.
- Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, associate's degree and two to four year.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping, one to two year and two to four year which graduated one and zero students respectively in 2008.
- Plant Nursery Operations and Management, two to four year.
- Turf and Turfgrass Management, two to four year.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.