Career and Education Opportunities for Insurance Appraisers in Antioch, California
There are many career and education opportunities for insurance appraisers in the Antioch, California area. Currently, 1,400 people work as insurance appraisers in California. This is expected to grow 14% to 1,600 people by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for insurance appraisers are expected to grow by about 0.5%. In general, insurance appraisers appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair.
Insurance appraisers earn approximately $26 per hour or $55,240 annually on average in California. Nationally they average about $25 hourly or $53,440 yearly. Compared with people working in the overall category of Adjustment and Analysis, people working as insurance appraisers in California earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Adjustment and Analysis nationally. Insurance appraisers work in a variety of jobs, including: claims representative, reinspector, and auto body repair estimator.
The Antioch area is home to sixty-four schools of higher education, including one within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree as an insurance appraiser. Insurance appraisers usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become an insurance appraiser if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Insurance Appraiser
In general, insurance appraisers appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair. They also prepare insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations.
Insurance appraisers estimate parts and labor to repair damage, using standard automotive labor and parts cost manuals and knowledge of automotive repair. They also inspect repair cost estimates with automobile repair shops to secure agreement on cost of repairs. Equally important, insurance appraisers have to examine damaged vehicles to establish extent of structural or interior damage. They are often called upon to evaluate practicality of repairs as opposed to payment of market value of vehicles before accident. They are expected to decide on salvage value on total-loss vehicles. Finally, insurance appraisers arrange to have damages appraised by other appraisers to deal with disagreement with shops on repair cost.
Every day, insurance appraisers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings.
Somewhat less frequently, insurance appraisers are also expected to arrange to have damages appraised by other appraisers to deal with disagreement with shops on repair cost.
Insurance appraisers sometimes are asked to ready insurance forms to indicate repair cost estimates and recommendations. And finally, they sometimes have to inspect repair cost estimates with automobile repair shops to secure agreement on cost of repairs.
Like many other jobs, insurance appraisers must be reliable and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Business Management Analyst. Conduct organizational studies and evaluations, design systems and procedures, conduct work simplifications and measurement studies, and prepare operations and procedures manuals to assist management in operating more efficiently and effectively. Includes program analysts and management consultants.
- Coroner. Direct activities such as autopsies, pathological and toxicological analyses, and inquests relating to the investigation of deaths occurring within a legal jurisdiction to determine cause of death or to fix responsibility for accidental, violent, or unexplained deaths.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Emergency Management Coordinator. Coordinate disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural, wartime, or technological disasters or hostage situations.
- Income Tax Advisor. Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
- Insurance Adjuster. Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants. Correspond with or interview medical specialists, agents, or claimants to compile information. Calculate benefit payments and approve payment of claims within a certain monetary limit.
- Insurance Underwriter. Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- License Examiner. Examine, evaluate, and investigate eligibility for, conformity with, or liability under licenses or permits.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Insurance Appraiser Training
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a two to four year program in Insurance.
Associate in Insurance Services: The Associate in Insurance Services program is a nationally recognized educational program designed specifically for insurance personnel.
For more information, see the American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America website.
Collision Repair and Refinish: Damage Analysis and Estimating : The ASE Damage Analysis and Estimating (B6) Test complements the other tests in the Collision Repair Test series that identify and recognize collision repair technicians and refinishers.
For more information, see the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence website.
Accredited Marine Surveyor : Our Accredited Marine Surveyor® (AMS®) members must have a minimum of 5 years experience and must pass a written examination by our testing committee in order to earn his or her AMS® credential.
For more information, see the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.