Career and Education Opportunities for Income Tax Advisors in Antioch, California
There are many career and education opportunities for income tax advisors in the Antioch, California area. There are currently 8,200 working income tax advisors in California; this should shrink 2% to 8,000 working income tax advisors in the state by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for income tax advisors are expected to grow by about 2.9%. In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
Income tax advisors earn approximately $23 per hour or $48,630 yearly on average in California. Nationally they average about $14 hourly or $29,420 annually. Income tax advisors earn less than people working in the category of Accounting and Auditing generally in California and less than people in the Accounting and Auditing category nationally. People working as income tax advisors can fill a number of jobs, such as: tax accountant, bookkeeper, and tax preparer.
There are four schools within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can study to be an income tax advisor, among sixty-four schools of higher education total in the Antioch area. Income tax advisors usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become an income tax advisor if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Income Tax Advisor
In general, income tax advisors prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses but do not have the background or responsibilities of an accredited or certified public accountant.
Income tax advisors ready or help in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses. They also use all appropriate adjustments and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum. Equally important, income tax advisors have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns. They are often called upon to consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to establish processes for preparation of atypical returns. They are expected to compute taxes owed or overpaid, using computers and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables. Finally, income tax advisors furnish taxpayers with sufficient data and advice to insure correct tax form completion.
Every day, income tax advisors are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they deal with basic arithmetic problems.
It is important for income tax advisors to check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to uncover errors in arithmetic or procedures. Somewhat less frequently, income tax advisors are also expected to calculate form preparation fees in line with return complexity and processing time required.
They also have to be able to interview clients to obtain additional data on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances And finally, they sometimes have to inspect financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to establish forms needed to ready tax returns.
Like many other jobs, income tax advisors must have exceptional integrity and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Accountant. Analyze financial information and prepare financial reports to determine or maintain records of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Assessor. Appraise real and personal property to determine its fair value. May assess taxes in accordance with prescribed schedules.
- Auditor. Examine and analyze accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepare financial reports concerning operating procedures.
- Budget Analyst. Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
- Cost Analyst. Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
- Credit Analyst. Analyze current credit data and financial statements of individuals or firms to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Prepare reports with this credit information for use in decision-making.
- Financial Analyst. Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
- Financial Examiner. Enforce or ensure compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify correctness of, or establish authenticity of records.
- Insurance Appraiser. Appraise automobile or other vehicle damage to determine cost of repair for insurance claim settlement and seek agreement with automotive repair shop on cost of repair. Prepare insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations.
- Insurance Underwriter. Review individual applications for insurance to evaluate degree of risk involved and determine acceptance of applications.
- Loan Counselor. Provide guidance to prospective loan applicants who have problems qualifying for traditional loans. Guidance may include determining the best type of loan and explaining loan requirements or restrictions.
- Loan Officer. Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and methods of payments. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, and loan underwriters.
- Personal Financial Planner. Advise clients on financial plans utilizing knowledge of tax and investment strategies, securities, and real estate. Duties include assessing clients' assets, liabilities, and financial objectives to establish investment strategies.
- Real Estate Appraiser. Appraise real property to determine its value for purchase, sales, or loan purposes.
- Tax Examiner. Determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Income Tax Advisor Training
San Joaquin Delta College - Stockton, CA
San Joaquin Delta College, 5151 Pacific Ave, Stockton, CA 95207. San Joaquin Delta College is a large college located in Stockton, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 20,480 students. San Joaquin Delta College has a one to two year and a two to four year program in Taxation which graduated eighteen and zero students respectively in 2008.
Mt Diablo Adult Education - Concord, CA
Mt Diablo Adult Education, 1266 San Carlos, Concord, CA 94518. Mt Diablo Adult Education is a small school located in Concord, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 513 students. Mt Diablo Adult Education has a less than one year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated eighty-two students in 2008.
California State University-East Bay - Hayward, CA
California State University-East Bay, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd, Hayward, CA 94542. California State University-East Bay is a large university located in Hayward, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 12,353 students and an admission rate of 71%. California State University-East Bay has a master's degree program in Taxation which graduated fifteen students in 2008.
Martinez Adult Education - Martinez, CA
Martinez Adult Education, 600 F St, Martinez, CA 94553-3298. Martinez Adult Education is a small school located in Martinez, California. It is a public school with primarily less-than 2-year programs and has 565 students. Martinez Adult Education has a one to two year program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
Accredited Tax Advisor: This credential is for practitioners who handle sophisticated tax planning issues, including ownership of closely held businesses, qualified retirement plans and complex estates.
For more information, see the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.