Career and Education Opportunities for Set and Exhibit Designers in Antioch, California
Set and exhibit designers can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Antioch, California area. There are currently 2,300 jobs for set and exhibit designers in California and this is projected to grow by 17% to about 2,700 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for set and exhibit designers, which sees this job pool growing by about 16.6% over the next eight years. In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets.
Set and exhibit designers earn about $24 per hour or $50,930 yearly on average in California and about $21 per hour or $44,660 yearly on average nationally. Incomes for set and exhibit designers are not quite as good as in the overall category of Art and Design in California, and not quite as good as the overall Art and Design category nationally. Jobs in this field include: television scenic design supervisor, presentation specialist, and exhibits manager.
The Antioch area is home to sixty-four schools of higher education, including six within twenty-five miles of Antioch where you can get a degree as a set and exhibit designer. Set and exhibit designers usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a set and exhibit designer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Set and Exhibit Designer
In general, set and exhibit designers design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. They also may study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
Set and exhibit designers estimate set- or exhibit-related costs including materials and rental of props or locations. They also direct and schedule construction, erection, or decoration efforts in order to insure that sets or exhibits meet layout and schedule requirements. Equally important, set and exhibit designers have to talk with clients and staff so as to gather data related to exhibit space, proposed themes and content and/or promotion requirements. They are often called upon to acquire, or manage acquisition of, specimens or graphics required to finish exhibits. They are expected to submit plans for approval, and adapt plans to serve intended purposes, or to conform to budget or fabrication restrictions. Finally, set and exhibit designers design for location-specific issues such as space limitations, traffic flow patterns, and safety concerns.
Every day, set and exhibit designers are expected to be able to visualize how things come together and can be organized. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for set and exhibit designers to layout and produce displays and materials that can be used to decorate windows or event locations such as streets and fairgrounds. They are often called upon to direct the removal of sets and exhibits after productions or events are complete. They also research architectural and stylistic elements appropriate to the time period to be depicted, consulting experts for data as needed. They are sometimes expected to decide on and purchase lumber and hardware needed for set construction. Somewhat less frequently, set and exhibit designers are also expected to observe sets during rehearsals in order to insure that set elements do not interfere with performance aspects such as cast movement and camera angles.
and design set designs on the basis of evaluation of scripts and available locations. And finally, they sometimes have to ready rough drafts and scale working drawings of sets, including floor plans and properties to be constructed.
Like many other jobs, set and exhibit designers must believe in innovation and creative thought and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Antioch include:
- Art Director. Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches, and direct workers engaged in art work, layout design, and copy writing for visual communications media, such as magazines, books, and packaging.
- Camera Operator. Operate television, video, or motion picture camera to photograph images or scenes for various purposes, such as TV broadcasts, advertising, or motion pictures.
- Choreographer. Create and teach dance. May direct and stage presentations.
- Craftsman. Create or reproduce hand-made objects for sale and exhibition using a variety of techniques, such as welding, weaving, and needlecraft.
- Dancer. Perform dances. May also sing or act.
- Director. Interpret script, conduct rehearsals, and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, or radio programs.
- Display Specialist. Plan and erect commercial displays.
- Fashion Designer. Design clothing and accessories. Create original garments or design garments that follow well established fashion trends. May develop the line of color and kinds of materials.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Florist. Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Graphic Designer. Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Industrial Designer. Develop and design manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Interior Designer. Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Multi-Media Artist or Animator. Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, and commercials.
- Photographer. Photograph persons, subjects, or other commercial products. May develop negatives and produce finished prints.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Set and Exhibit Designer Training
Las Positas College - Livermore, CA
Las Positas College, 3033 Collier Cyn Rd, Livermore, CA 94551-7650. Las Positas College is a medium sized college located in Livermore, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 8,098 students. Las Positas College has an associate's degree program in Illustration.
Diablo Valley College - Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Rd, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. Diablo Valley College is a large college located in Pleasant Hill, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,768 students. Diablo Valley College has an associate's degree and a two to four year program in Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology.
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop - Lathrop, CA
ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop, 16916 S. Harlan Rd, Lathrop, CA 95330. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop is a small school located in Lathrop, California. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 772 students and an admission rate of 49%. ITT Technical Institute-Lathrop has an associate's degree program in Design and Visual Communications.
University of California-Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
University of California-Berkeley, , Berkeley, CA 94720. University of California-Berkeley is a large university located in Berkeley, California. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 35,353 students and an admission rate of 23%. University of California-Berkeley has a master's degree program in Design and Visual Communications which graduated two students in 2008.
California College of the Arts - Oakland, CA
California College of the Arts, 5212 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94618-1487. California College of the Arts is a small college located in Oakland, California. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,688 students. California College of the Arts has 3 areas of study related to Set and Exhibit Designer. They are:
- Design and Visual Communications, master's degree which graduated 10 students in 2008.
- Illustration, bachelor's degree which graduated 19 students in 2008.
- Design and Applied Arts, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 6 students in 2008.
Chabot College - Hayward, CA
Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545. Chabot College is a large college located in Hayward, California. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 14,299 students. Chabot College has an associate's degree program in Illustration.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Antioch, California
Antioch is located in Contra Costa County, California. It has a population of over 100,219, which has grown by 10.7% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Antioch, 150, is far greater than the national average. New single-family homes in Antioch cost $255,600 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, one hundred twenty-two new homes were constructed in Antioch, down from one hundred fifty-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Antioch are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 42 minutes. More than 18.2% of Antioch residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 4.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Antioch is 12.9%, which is greater than California's average of 12.3%.
The percentage of Antioch residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 38.9%, is less than both the national and state average. Iglesia Biblica Bautista Antioquia, Lone Tree Community Church and Calvary Chapel are all churches located in Antioch. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the Baptist General Conference and the LDS (Mormon) Church.
Antioch is home to the Antioch Historical Center and the Lupine Rock Picnic Area as well as Williamson Ranch Park and Fairview Park. Shopping malls in the area include Antioch Square Shopping Center, Raleys Shopping Center and Century Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Antioch can choose from Antioch Executive Inn, Best Western Heritage Inn Antioch and Antioch Comfort Suites for temporary stays in the area.