Career and Education Opportunities for Communication Professors in Phoenix, Arizona
Communication professors can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Communication professors generally teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
The average wage in the general category of Postsecondary Education jobs is $29 per hour or $59,177 per year in Arizona, and an average of $23 per hour or $64,226 per year nationwide. Earnings for communication professors are not quite as good as earnings in the general category of Postsecondary Education in Arizona and not quite as good as general Postsecondary Education category earnings nationally. People working as communication professors can fill a number of jobs, such as: speech teacher, communications department chairperson, and communication instructor.
The Phoenix area is home to seventy-six schools of higher education, including nine within twenty-five miles of Phoenix where you can get a degree as a communication professor. Communication professors usually hold a Master's degree, so you can expect to spend about six years studying to be a communication professor if you already have a high school diploma, or just 2 years if you have a Bachelor's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Communication Professor
In general, communication professors teach courses in communications, such as organizational communications, public relations, radio/television broadcasting, and journalism.
Communication professors evaluate and grade students' class work and papers. They also ready course materials such as syllabi and handouts. Equally important, communication professors have to keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences. They are often called upon to maintain student attendance records and other required records. They are expected to compile and grade examinations, or assign this work to others. Finally, communication professors compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
Every day, communication professors are expected to be able to speak clearly. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for communication professors to participate in student recruitment and placement efforts. They are often called upon to conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals or electronic media. They also act as advisers to student organizations. They are sometimes expected to supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work. Somewhat less frequently, communication professors are also expected to perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
Communication professors sometimes are asked to formulate and revise curricula, course content and methods of instruction. They also have to be able to compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments and participate in campus and community events. And finally, they sometimes have to furnish professional consulting services to government or industry.
Like many other jobs, communication professors must be reliable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Phoenix include:
- Agriculture Professor. Teach courses in the agricultural sciences. Includes teachers of agronomy, dairy sciences, and agricultural soil conservation.
- Architecture Professor. Teach courses in architecture and architectural design, such as architectural environmental design, interior architecture/design, and landscape architecture.
- Computer Science Professor. Teach courses in computer science. May specialize in a field of computer science.
- English Professor. Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature.
- Graduate Research Assistant. Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
- Law Professor. Teach courses in law.
- Math Professor. Teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations.
- Nursing Professor. Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of both teaching and research.
- Physical Education Professor. Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management.
- Vocational Instructor. Teach or instruct vocational or occupational subjects at the postsecondary level (but at less than the baccalaureate) to students who have graduated or left high school. Includes correspondence school instructors; industrial, commercial and government training instructors; and adult education teachers and instructors who prepare persons to operate industrial machinery and equipment and transportation and communications equipment. Teaching may take place in public or private schools whose primary business is education or in a school associated with an organization whose primary business is other than education.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Communication Professor Training
Mesa Community College - Mesa, AZ
Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202. Mesa Community College is a large college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,825 students. Mesa Community College has 2 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Public Relations/Image Management, associate's degree.
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs, Other Specialties, one to two year.
Glendale Community College - Glendale, AZ
Glendale Community College, 6000 W Olive Ave, Glendale, AZ 85302. Glendale Community College is a large college located in Glendale, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 18,228 students. Glendale Community College has an associate's degree program in Public Relations/Image Management which graduated one student in 2008.
Arizona State University - Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University, , Tempe, AZ 85287. Arizona State University is a large university located in Tempe, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 67,082 students and an admission rate of 82%. Arizona State University has 4 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated 467, fifteen, and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Journalism, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree and master's degree which graduated 265 and twenty-eight students respectively in 2008.
- Radio and Television, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 11 students in 2008.
Grand Canyon University - Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon University, 3300 W Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017. Grand Canyon University is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,087 students and an admission rate of 100%. Grand Canyon University has 4 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree.
- Journalism, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Broadcast Journalism, bachelor's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
- Public Relations/Image Management, bachelor's degree which graduated 1 student in 2008.
Paradise Valley Community College - Phoenix, AZ
Paradise Valley Community College, 18401 N 32nd St, Phoenix, AZ 85032. Paradise Valley Community College is a medium sized college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 9,105 students. Paradise Valley Community College has a less than one year program in Journalism which graduated two students in 2008.
Scottsdale Community College - Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Community College, 9000 E Chaparral Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85256. Scottsdale Community College is a large college located in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,077 students. Scottsdale Community College has 3 areas of study related to Communication Professor. They are:
- Journalism, less than one year which graduated 1 student in 2008.
- Broadcast Journalism, one to two year which graduated 6 students in 2008.
- Public Relations/Image Management, associate's degree.
Phoenix College - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix College, 1202 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013. Phoenix College is a large college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,917 students. Phoenix College has an associate's degree program in Journalism.
Ottawa University-Phoenix - Phoenix, AZ
Ottawa University-Phoenix, 10020 North 25th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85021. Ottawa University-Phoenix is a small university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,329 students. Ottawa University-Phoenix has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated one student in 2008.
The Art Institute of Phoenix - Phoenix, AZ
The Art Institute of Phoenix, 2233 W Dunlap Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85021-2859. The Art Institute of Phoenix is a small school located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 1,144 students and an admission rate of 52%. The Art Institute of Phoenix has a bachelor's degree program in Advertising which graduated eleven students in 2008.
Accreditation in Public Relations: APR certification proves you have successfully demonstrated competency in the knowledge, skills and abilities required to practice public relations effectively in today's business arena.
For more information, see the Public Relations Society of America website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Phoenix, Arizona
Phoenix is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 1,567,924, which has grown by 18.7% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Phoenix, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Phoenix cost $218,200 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, 2,176 new homes were built in Phoenix, down from 6,560 the previous year.
The top three industries for women in Phoenix are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 22.7% of Phoenix residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.6%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Phoenix is 10.0%, which is greater than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Phoenix residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. San Francisco Xavier and Good Shepherd Convent are among the churches located in Phoenix. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Phoenix is home to the Arizona Highway Patrol Headquarters and the Gila Valley Lookout as well as Indian Bend Park and Stephen Park. Shopping centers in the area include Alta Vista Shopping Center, Arcadia Plaza Shopping Center and Arcadia Village Shopping Center. Visitors to Phoenix can choose from Four Seasons Limousine LLC, Maricopa Manor B&B Inn and Motel 6 for temporary stays in the area.