Career and Education Opportunities for Telemarketers in Peoria, Arizona
There are many career and education opportunities for telemarketers in the Peoria, Arizona area. There are currently 9,510 jobs for telemarketers in Arizona and this is projected to shrink 6% to about 8,970 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for telemarketers, which sees this job pool shrinking by about 11.1% over the next eight years. In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
The income of a telemarketer is about $10 hourly or $22,150 per year on average in Arizona. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $10 hourly or $21,960 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical, people working as telemarketers in Arizona earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Sales and Clerical nationally.
There are seventy-four schools of higher education in the Peoria area, including two within twenty-five miles of Peoria where you can get a degree to start your career as a telemarketer. Telemarketers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so it will take only a short time to learn to be a telemarketer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Telemarketer
In general, telemarketers solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
Telemarketers explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from clients. They also obtain customer data such as name and payment method, and enter orders into computers. Finally, telemarketers deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation.
Every day, telemarketers are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for telemarketers to record names and reactions of prospects contacted. They are often called upon to adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals. They also deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, so as to persuade potential clients to acquire a product or service or to make a donation. They are sometimes expected to contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to seek sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes. Somewhat less frequently, telemarketers are also expected to maintain records of contacts and orders.
Telemarketers sometimes are asked to answer telephone calls from potential clients who have been solicited through advertisements. They also have to be able to telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from clients or to follow up initial sales contacts and conduct client or market surveys so as to obtain data related to potential clients. And finally, they sometimes have to schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective clients or for clients to attend sales presentations.
Like many other jobs, telemarketers must be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Peoria include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cage Cashier. Exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. May issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine. May operate a booth in the slot machine area and furnish change persons with money bank at the start of the shift, or count and audit money in drawers.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Telemarketer Training
Mesa Community College - Mesa, AZ
Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202. Mesa Community College is a large college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,825 students. Mesa Community College has a less than one year program in Selling Skills and Sales Operations.
Phoenix College - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix College, 1202 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013. Phoenix College is a large college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,917 students. Phoenix College has 2 areas of study related to Telemarketer. They are:
- Insurance, less than one year and associate's degree.
- Selling Skills and Sales Operations, associate's degree.
National Professional Certification in Sales: The Certification was designed to capture the core Sales duties for a broad range of entry-level through first-line supervisory positions across the sales and service industries.
For more information, see the National Retail Federation Foundation website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Peoria, Arizona
Peoria is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 157,960, which has grown by 45.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Peoria, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Peoria are priced at $169,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, seven hundred ninety-four new homes were built in Peoria, down from 1,148 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Peoria are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 29 minutes. More than 21.7% of Peoria residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Peoria is 6.1%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Peoria residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Peoria is home to the Maricopa County Community Services and the Lake Pleasant Inn as well as Murphy Park and Varney Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arrowhead Mall, Pueblo Plaza Shopping Center and Plaza de Alamos Shopping Center. Visitors to Peoria can choose from La Quinta Phoenix Inn And Suites Peoria, Hampton Inn Glendale-Peoria and FlyHwnTrvl for temporary stays in the area.