Career and Education Opportunities for Legal Secretaries in Peoria, Arizona
Peoria, Arizona provides a wide variety of opportunities, both career and educational, for legal secretaries. There are currently 5,340 jobs for legal secretaries in Arizona and this is projected to grow 23% to 6,570 jobs by 2016. This is better than the national trend for legal secretaries, which sees this job pool growing by about 18.4% over the next eight years. Legal secretaries generally perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
Income for legal secretaries is about $19 hourly or $40,080 yearly on average in Arizona. Nationally, their income is about $19 per hour or $39,860 per year. Incomes for legal secretaries are better than in the overall category of Secretarial in Arizona, and better than the overall Secretarial category nationally.
There are seventy-four schools of higher education in the Peoria area, including three within twenty-five miles of Peoria where you can get a degree to start your career as a legal secretary. The most common level of education for legal secretaries is an Associate's, or other 2-year degree. It will take about two years to learn to be a legal secretary if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legal Secretary
In general, legal secretaries perform secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents. They also prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, and subpoenas.
Legal secretaries receive and place telephone calls. They also mail or manage delivery of legal correspondence to clients and court officials. Equally important, legal secretaries have to ready and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses and pretrial agreements. They are often called upon to make photocopies of correspondence and other printed matter. They are expected to schedule and make appointments. Finally, legal secretaries draft and type office memos.
Every day, legal secretaries are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to listen to and understand others in meetings. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for legal secretaries to organize and maintain law libraries and case files. They are often called upon to attend legal meetings, such as client interviews or depositions, and take notes. They also complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients. Somewhat less frequently, legal secretaries are also expected to submit articles and data from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use.
They also have to be able to inspect legal publications and perform database searches to pinpoint laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases And finally, they sometimes have to complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
Like many other jobs, legal secretaries must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Peoria include:
- Administrative Assistant. Provide high-level administrative support by conducting research, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings. May also train and supervise lower-level clerical staff.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Courtroom Clerk. Perform clerical duties in court of law; prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges; and contact witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Office Machine Operator. Operate one or more of a variety of office machines, such as photocopying, photographic, and duplicating machines, or other office machines.
- Production Planner. Coordinate and expedite the flow of work and materials within or between departments of an establishment according to production schedule. Duties include reviewing and distributing production, work, and shipment schedules; conferring with department supervisors to determine progress of work and completion dates; and compiling reports on progress of work, inventory levels, and production problems.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legal Secretary Training
IIA College - Phoenix, AZ
IIA College, 4240 W. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85019-1600. IIA College is a small college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 650 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
Phoenix College - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix College, 1202 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013. Phoenix College is a large college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,917 students. Phoenix College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary which graduated zero, zero, and two students respectively in 2008.
IIA College - Mesa, AZ
IIA College, 925 S Gilbert Rd Ste 201, Mesa, AZ 85204-4448. IIA College is a small college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 225 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Legal Administrative Assistant/Secretary.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Peoria, Arizona
Peoria is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 157,960, which has grown by 45.8% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Peoria, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Peoria are priced at $169,600 on average, which is far less than the state average. In 2008, seven hundred ninety-four new homes were built in Peoria, down from 1,148 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Peoria are health care, finance and insurance, and educational services. For men, it is construction, public administration, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 29 minutes. More than 21.7% of Peoria residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.5%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Peoria is 6.1%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Peoria residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Peoria is home to the Maricopa County Community Services and the Lake Pleasant Inn as well as Murphy Park and Varney Park. Shopping centers in the area include Arrowhead Mall, Pueblo Plaza Shopping Center and Plaza de Alamos Shopping Center. Visitors to Peoria can choose from La Quinta Phoenix Inn And Suites Peoria, Hampton Inn Glendale-Peoria and FlyHwnTrvl for temporary stays in the area.