Career and Education Opportunities for Legislators in Mesa, Arizona
If you want to be a legislator, the Mesa, Arizona area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for legislators sees this job pool growing by about 0.7% over the next eight years. Legislators generally develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
The average wage in the general category of Specialized Management jobs is $34 per hour or $67,709 per year in Arizona, and an average of $39 per hour or $74,363 per year nationwide. Legislators earn less than people working in the category of Specialized Management generally in Arizona and less than people in the Specialized Management category nationally. People working as legislators can fill a number of jobs, such as: city councilman, congressional representative, and alderman.
There are seventy-six schools of higher education in the Mesa area, including seven within twenty-five miles of Mesa where you can get a degree to start your career as a legislator.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Legislator
In general, legislators develop laws and statutes at the Federal, State, or local level.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Mesa include:
- Construction Foreman. Plan, direct, or budget, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, and implementation.
- Garden Center Manager. Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Natural Resources Specialist. Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as life sciences, physical sciences, and research and development in these fields.
- Property Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate selling, buying, or governance activities of commercial, industrial, or residential real estate properties.
- Purchasing Manager. Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services.
- Social Service Coordinator. Plan, organize, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Legislator Training
Rio Salado College - Tempe, AZ
Rio Salado College, 2323 W 14th St, Tempe, AZ 85281. Rio Salado College is a large college located in Tempe, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 19,186 students. Rio Salado College has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, less than one year and associate's degree which graduated twenty-three and thirteen students respectively in 2008.
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties, less than one year.
Arizona State University - Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University, , Tempe, AZ 85287. Arizona State University is a large university located in Tempe, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 67,082 students and an admission rate of 82%. Arizona State University has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, master's degree and doctor's degree which graduated sixty-nine and seven students respectively in 2008.
- Public Policy Analysis, master's degree which graduated 2 students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus, 4635 East Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85040-1958. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus is a medium sized university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,768 students. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties which graduated thirty-four students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Online Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Online Campus, 3157 E. Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034-7209. University of Phoenix-Online Campus is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181,146 students. University of Phoenix-Online Campus has 2 areas of study related to Legislator. They are:
- Public Administration, bachelor's degree which graduated 74 students in 2008.
- Public Administration and Social Service Professions, Other Specialties, bachelor's degree which graduated 115 students in 2008.
Western International University - Phoenix, AZ
Western International University, 9215 N Black Canyon Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85021. Western International University is a small university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 7,940 students. Western International University has a master's degree program in Public Administration which graduated sixteen students in 2008.
Ottawa University-Phoenix - Phoenix, AZ
Ottawa University-Phoenix, 10020 North 25th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85021. Ottawa University-Phoenix is a small university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,329 students. Ottawa University-Phoenix has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration which graduated one student in 2008.
IIA College - Phoenix, AZ
IIA College, 4240 W. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85019-1600. IIA College is a small college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 650 students. IIA College has a bachelor's degree program in Public Administration.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Mesa, Arizona
Mesa is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 463,552, which has grown by 16.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Mesa, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Mesa are priced at $289,200 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, five hundred eighty-four new homes were constructed in Mesa, down from 1,039 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Mesa are health care, educational services, and accommodation and food services. For men, it is construction, administrative and support and waste management services, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 26 minutes. More than 21.6% of Mesa residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 6.7%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Mesa is 7.9%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Mesa residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most prominent religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Mesa is home to the Water Users Camp Ten and the Arizona Girls Ranch as well as Jackrabbit Stadium and McAfee Place Unit Two Mini Park. Shopping malls in the area include Riviera Plaza Shopping Center, Gilbert Plaza Shopping Center and Apache Plaza Shopping Center. Visitors to Mesa can choose from Hampton Inn Phoenix-Mesa, Extended Stay America - Mesa and Kiva Lodge Motel for temporary stays in the area.