Career and Education Opportunities for Security Guards in Glendale, Arizona
Security guards can find many career and educational opportunities in the Glendale, Arizona area. About 13,580 people are currently employed as security guards in Arizona. By 2016, this is expected to grow 18% to 15,950 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for security guards are expected to grow by about 14.2%. In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
Security guards earn approximately $11 hourly or $23,000 per year on average in Arizona. Nationally they average about $11 hourly or $23,460 yearly. Incomes for security guards are not quite as good as in the overall category of Police and Security in Arizona, and not quite as good as the overall Police and Security category nationally. Jobs in this field include: armed guard, security assistant, and ship keeper.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Glendale where you can study to be a security guard, among seventy-four schools of higher education total in the Glendale area. The most common level of education for security guards is a high school diploma or GED. You can expect to spend only a short time training to become a security guard if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Security Guard
In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
Security guards track and authorize entrance and departure of employees and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises. Finally, security guards call police or fire departments in cases of emergency.
Every day, security guards are expected to be able to focus attention on specific tasks without being distracted. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for security guards to circulate among visitors or employees to preserve order and protect property. They are often called upon to answer alarms and investigate disturbances. They also write reports of daily efforts and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences. They are sometimes expected to patrol industrial or commercial premises to inhibit and detect signs of intrusion and insure security of doors and gates. Somewhat less frequently, security guards are also expected to answer telephone calls to take messages and furnish data during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
They also have to be able to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas and escort or drive motor vehicle to move individuals to specified locations or to furnish personal protection. And finally, they sometimes have to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
Like many other jobs, security guards must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Glendale include:
- Bailiff. Maintain order in courts of law.
- Chief of Police. Supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Correctional Officer. Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Criminal Investigator. Investigate alleged or suspected criminal violations of Federal, state, or local laws to determine if evidence is sufficient to recommend prosecution.
- Customs Inspector. Investigate and inspect persons, common carriers, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
- Fire Code Inspector. Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Fire Fighter. Control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
- Forest Fire Lookout. Enforce fire regulations and inspect for forest fire hazards. Report forest fires and weather conditions.
- Forest Firefighter. Control and suppress fires in forests or vacant public land.
- Police Officer. Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Police Records Officer. Collect evidence at crime scenes, classify and identify fingerprints, and photograph evidence for use in criminal and civil cases.
- Policeman. Patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
- Private Investigator. Detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment, or seek, examine, and compile information for client.
- Sheriff. Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Transportation Security Officer. Inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Security Guard Training
Mesa Community College - Mesa, AZ
Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202. Mesa Community College is a large college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,825 students. Mesa Community College has an associate's degree program in Security and Loss Prevention Services.
IIA College - Mesa, AZ
IIA College, 925 S Gilbert Rd Ste 201, Mesa, AZ 85204-4448. IIA College is a small college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 225 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Security and Loss Prevention Services which graduated six students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus, 4635 East Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85040-1958. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus is a medium sized university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,768 students. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus has a master's degree program in Securities Services Administration/Management which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
IIA College - Phoenix, AZ
IIA College, 4240 W. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85019-1600. IIA College is a small college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 650 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Security and Loss Prevention Services which graduated eight students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Online Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Online Campus, 3157 E. Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034-7209. University of Phoenix-Online Campus is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181,146 students. University of Phoenix-Online Campus has 2 areas of study related to Security Guard. They are:
- Security and Loss Prevention Services, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Securities Services Administration/Management, master's degree which graduated 438 students in 2008.
Certified Corrections Manager - Security Threat Groups: Individuals who head a Security Threat Group (STG) program in an adult or juvenile corrections facility, contribute to the development of agency policies/procedures pertaining to STGs, and are involved in the implementation of these policies/procedures.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Corrections Supervisor - Security Threat Groups: The American Correctional Association and the National Major Gang Task Force have collaborated to develop within the Corrections Certification Program a Security Threat Group specialization.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Protection Officer: The CPO program is designed for protection professionals intent on.
For more information, see the International Foundation for Protection Officers website.
Security Guard, Armed Security Guard, Associate
Licensing agency: Public Safety, Department of
Address: 2102 West Encanto Blvd, Phoenix,, AZ 85009
Phone: (602) 223-2361
Website: Public Safety, Department of
LOCATION INFORMATION: Glendale, Arizona
Glendale is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 251,522, which has grown by 14.9% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Glendale, 92, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Glendale are priced at $278,800 on average, which is far greater than the state average. In 2008, seventy-eight new homes were built in Glendale, down from two hundred ninety-eight the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Glendale are health care, educational services, and finance and insurance. For men, it is construction, public administration, and administrative and support and waste management services. The average travel time to work is about 28 minutes. More than 21.0% of Glendale residents have a bachelor's degree, which is lower than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 7.1%, is lower than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Glendale is 8.9%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Glendale residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Glendale is home to the Southwest Poultry Experiment Station and the Maryvale Substation as well as Thunderbird Park and Bicentennial Park. Shopping malls in the area include Glen Fairs Shopping Center, Glendale Plaza Shopping Center and Glendale Shopping Center. Visitors to Glendale can choose from Best Western Inn Phoenix Glen, AriTime Personal Services and Four Seasons Flowers & Gifts for temporary stays in the area.