Career and Education Opportunities for Cage Cashiers in Gilbert, Arizona
For those living in the Gilbert, Arizona area, there are many career and education opportunities for cage cashiers. The national trend for cage cashiers sees this job pool shrinking by about 10.4% over the next eight years. Cage cashiers generally exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money.
Income for cage cashiers is about $9 per hour or $19,210 yearly on average in Arizona. Nationally, their income is about $10 per hour or $21,980 yearly. Cage cashiers earn less than people working in the category of Sales and Clerical generally in Arizona and less than people in the Sales and Clerical category nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Gilbert where you can study to be a cage cashier, among seventy-six schools of higher education total in the Gilbert area. Given that the most common education level for cage cashiers is a high school diploma or GED, you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a cage cashier if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Cage Cashier
In general, cage cashiers exchange coins and tokens for patrons' money. They also may issue payoffs and obtain customer's signature on receipt when winnings exceed the amount held in the slot machine.
Cage cashiers count money and audit money drawers. Finally, cage cashiers exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients.
Every day, cage cashiers are expected to be able to listen to and understand others in meetings. They need to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for cage cashiers to keep accurate records of monetary exchanges and transaction reconciliations. They are often called upon to work in and monitor an assigned area on the casino floor where slot machines are located. They also listen for jackpot alarm bells and issue payoffs to winners. They are sometimes expected to exchange money and casino chips, and make change for clients. Somewhat less frequently, cage cashiers are also expected to furnish change persons with a money bank at the start of each shift.
They also have to be able to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players And finally, they sometimes have to calculate the value of chips won or lost by players.
Like many other jobs, cage cashiers must be reliable and be thorough and dependable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Gilbert include:
- Advertising Agent. Sell or solicit advertising, including graphic art, advertising space in publications, custom made signs, or TV and radio advertising time. May obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailer to use sales promotion display items.
- Cashier. Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
- Insurance Agent. Sell life, property, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Product Demonstrator. Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Retail Sales Manager. Directly supervise sales workers in a retail establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Retail Salesman. Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, or apparel in a retail establishment.
- Sales Team Manager. Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties, such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Technical Service Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Telemarketer. Solicit orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative. Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Cage Cashier Training
University of Phoenix-Online Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Online Campus, 3157 E. Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034-7209. University of Phoenix-Online Campus is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181,146 students. University of Phoenix-Online Campus has a bachelor's degree program in Retailing and Retail Operations which graduated twenty-one students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Gilbert, Arizona
Gilbert is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 216,449, which has grown by 97.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Gilbert, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Gilbert are priced at $210,100 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, 1,115 new homes were constructed in Gilbert, down from 2,891 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Gilbert are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 36.1% of Gilbert residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Gilbert is 4.9%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Gilbert residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Gilbert is home to the Santan Substation and the Gilbert Substation as well as Library Park and Parquasito Verde Park. Shopping centers in the area include Village Square Shopping Center and Village Center Shopping Center. Visitors to Gilbert can choose from BCS Hospitality Consultants and CoastClub for temporary stays in the area.