Career and Education Opportunities for Writers in Gilbert, Arizona
For those living in the Gilbert, Arizona area, there are many career and education opportunities for writers. There are currently 2,830 jobs for writers in Arizona and this is projected to grow 9% to about 3,090 jobs by 2016. This is not quite as good as the national trend for writers, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.8% over the next eight years. Writers generally create original written works.
The average wage in the general category of Writing and Editing jobs is $25 per hour or $52,645 per year in Arizona, and an average of $26 per hour or $54,437 per year nationwide. Writers work in a variety of jobs, including: poem writer, business writer, and poet.
There are five schools within twenty-five miles of Gilbert where you can study to be a writer, among seventy-six schools of higher education total in the Gilbert area. Writers usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time training to become a writer if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Writer
In general, writers create original written works.
Writers revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers. They also choose subject matter and suitable form to express personal feelings and experiences or concepts, or to narrate stories or events. Equally important, writers have to formulate project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly. They are often called upon to collaborate with other writers on specific projects. They are expected to ready works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers. Finally, writers talk with clients or producers to consider changes or revisions to written material.
Every day, writers are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to be creative and generate new ideas.
It is important for writers to conduct research to obtain factual data and authentic detail, using sources such as newspaper accounts and interviews. They are often called upon to follow appropriate procedures to get copyrights for completed work. They also attend book launches and publicity events, or conduct public readings. They are sometimes expected to design factors such as themes and dialogue, to generate material. Somewhat less frequently, writers are also expected to collaborate with other writers on specific projects.
Writers sometimes are asked to teach writing classes. And finally, they sometimes have to revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients or producers.
Like many other jobs, writers must be persistant in the face of problems and impediments and want to innovate to meet new challenges.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Gilbert include:
- Actor. Play parts in stage, television, or motion picture productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interpret serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Copy Writer. Write advertising copy for use by publication or broadcast media to promote sale of goods and services.
- Editorial Specialist. Perform variety of editorial duties, such as laying out, indexing, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for final publication.
- Film or Videotape Editor. Edit motion picture soundtracks, film, and video.
- Fine Artist. Create original artwork using any of a wide variety of mediums and techniques.
- Music Composer. Write and transcribe musical scores.
- Music Director. Direct and conduct instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups.
- News Analyst. Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Radio and Television Announcer. Talk on radio or television. May interview guests, act as master of ceremonies, read news flashes, identify station by giving call letters, or announce song title and artist.
- Reporter. Collect and analyze facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation. Report and write stories for newspaper, news magazine, or television.
- Singer. Sing songs on stage, radio, or motion pictures.
- Technical Writer. Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Writer Training
Scottsdale Community College - Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Community College, 9000 E Chaparral Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85256. Scottsdale Community College is a large college located in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,077 students. Scottsdale Community College has a one to two year program in Playwriting and Screenwriting which graduated twenty-five students in 2008.
Ottawa University-Phoenix - Phoenix, AZ
Ottawa University-Phoenix, 10020 North 25th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85021. Ottawa University-Phoenix is a small university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private not-for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 1,329 students. Ottawa University-Phoenix has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric which graduated one student in 2008.
Phoenix College - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix College, 1202 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013. Phoenix College is a large college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,917 students. Phoenix College has a less than one year program in Creative Writing.
Grand Canyon University - Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon University, 3300 W Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017. Grand Canyon University is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 22,087 students and an admission rate of 100%. Grand Canyon University has a bachelor's degree program in Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric.
Arizona State University - Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University, , Tempe, AZ 85287. Arizona State University is a large university located in Tempe, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 67,082 students and an admission rate of 82%. Arizona State University has 2 areas of study related to Writer. They are:
- Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric, bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree which graduated 467, fifteen, and nine students respectively in 2008.
- Creative Writing, master's degree which graduated 16 students in 2008.
Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package: Fiscal Services - Accelerated Package course list: Better Requests for Proposals for Better Projects; Continuous Improvement Through Monitoring; Contracting; New Coding System for the 21st Century; Procurement; and Writing Winning Grant Proposals.
For more information, see the Dynamic Works Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Gilbert, Arizona
Gilbert is located in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 216,449, which has grown by 97.3% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Gilbert, 94, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Gilbert are priced at $210,100 on average, which is below the state average. In 2008, 1,115 new homes were constructed in Gilbert, down from 2,891 the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Gilbert are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average travel time to work is about 29 minutes. More than 36.1% of Gilbert residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Gilbert is 4.9%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Gilbert residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The largest religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Gilbert is home to the Santan Substation and the Gilbert Substation as well as Library Park and Parquasito Verde Park. Shopping centers in the area include Village Square Shopping Center and Village Center Shopping Center. Visitors to Gilbert can choose from BCS Hospitality Consultants and CoastClub for temporary stays in the area.