Career and Education Opportunities for Security Guards in Chandler, Arizona
Security guards can find both educational opportunities and jobs in the Chandler, Arizona area. There are currently 13,580 working security guards in Arizona; this should grow 18% to 15,950 working security guards in the state by 2016. This is better than the national trend for security guards, which sees this job pool growing by about 14.2% over the next eight years. In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
The income of a security guard is about $11 per hour or $23,000 yearly on average in Arizona. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $11 hourly or $23,460 per year on average. Security guards earn less than people working in the category of Police and Security generally in Arizona and less than people in the Police and Security category nationally. Security guards work in a variety of jobs, including: elevated guard, bodyguard, and gate tender.
There are seventy-seven schools of higher education in the Chandler area, including five within twenty-five miles of Chandler where you can get a degree to start your career as a security guard. The most common level of education for security guards is a high school diploma or GED. It will take only a short time to learn to be a security guard if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Security Guard
In general, security guards guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules.
Security guards track and authorize entrance and departure of employees and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises. Finally, security guards call police or fire departments in cases of emergency.
Every day, security guards are expected to be able to focus attention on specific tasks without being distracted. They need to evaluate problems as they arise. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for security guards to circulate among visitors or employees to preserve order and protect property. They are often called upon to answer alarms and investigate disturbances. They also write reports of daily efforts and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences. They are sometimes expected to patrol industrial or commercial premises to inhibit and detect signs of intrusion and insure security of doors and gates. Somewhat less frequently, security guards are also expected to answer telephone calls to take messages and furnish data during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
They also have to be able to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas and escort or drive motor vehicle to move individuals to specified locations or to furnish personal protection. And finally, they sometimes have to operate detecting devices to screen individuals and avoid passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
Like many other jobs, security guards must have strong self control in the face of challenging situations and be able to deal with stress and deal with situations calmly.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chandler include:
- Bailiff. Maintain order in courts of law.
- Chief of Police. Supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Correctional Officer. Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
- Criminal Investigator. Investigate alleged or suspected criminal violations of Federal, state, or local laws to determine if evidence is sufficient to recommend prosecution.
- Customs Inspector. Investigate and inspect persons, common carriers, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
- Fire Code Inspector. Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- Fire Fighter. Control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
- Forest Fire Lookout. Enforce fire regulations and inspect for forest fire hazards. Report forest fires and weather conditions.
- Forest Firefighter. Control and suppress fires in forests or vacant public land.
- Police Officer. Conduct investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
- Police Records Officer. Collect evidence at crime scenes, classify and identify fingerprints, and photograph evidence for use in criminal and civil cases.
- Policeman. Patrol assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, and arrest violators.
- Private Investigator. Detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment, or seek, examine, and compile information for client.
- Sheriff. Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Transportation Security Officer. Inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Security Guard Training
Mesa Community College - Mesa, AZ
Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202. Mesa Community College is a large college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,825 students. Mesa Community College has an associate's degree program in Security and Loss Prevention Services.
IIA College - Mesa, AZ
IIA College, 925 S Gilbert Rd Ste 201, Mesa, AZ 85204-4448. IIA College is a small college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 225 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Security and Loss Prevention Services which graduated six students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus, 4635 East Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85040-1958. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus is a medium sized university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 4,768 students. University of Phoenix-Phoenix-Hohokam Campus has a master's degree program in Securities Services Administration/Management which graduated fourteen students in 2008.
IIA College - Phoenix, AZ
IIA College, 4240 W. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85019-1600. IIA College is a small college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 650 students. IIA College has a less than one year program in Security and Loss Prevention Services which graduated eight students in 2008.
University of Phoenix-Online Campus - Phoenix, AZ
University of Phoenix-Online Campus, 3157 E. Elwood Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034-7209. University of Phoenix-Online Campus is a large university located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a private for-profit school with primarily 4-year or above programs and has 181,146 students. University of Phoenix-Online Campus has 2 areas of study related to Security Guard. They are:
- Security and Loss Prevention Services, bachelor's degree which graduated 4 students in 2008.
- Securities Services Administration/Management, master's degree which graduated 438 students in 2008.
Certified Corrections Manager - Security Threat Groups: Individuals who head a Security Threat Group (STG) program in an adult or juvenile corrections facility, contribute to the development of agency policies/procedures pertaining to STGs, and are involved in the implementation of these policies/procedures.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Corrections Supervisor - Security Threat Groups: The American Correctional Association and the National Major Gang Task Force have collaborated to develop within the Corrections Certification Program a Security Threat Group specialization.
For more information, see the American Correctional Association website.
Certified Protection Officer: The CPO program is designed for protection professionals intent on.
For more information, see the International Foundation for Protection Officers website.
Security Guard, Armed Security Guard, Associate
Licensing agency: Public Safety, Department of
Address: 2102 West Encanto Blvd, Phoenix,, AZ 85009
Phone: (602) 223-2361
Website: Public Safety, Department of
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chandler, Arizona
Chandler is situated in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 247,140, which has grown by 40.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Chandler, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Chandler are priced at $206,800 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred sixty-one new homes were constructed in Chandler, down from 1,002 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Chandler are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 32.5% of Chandler residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chandler is 6.6%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Chandler residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Chandler is home to the Kyrene Gin and the Goodyear Substation as well as West Mine Well Park and Doctor Chandler Memorial Park. Visitors to Chandler can choose from Courtyard by Marriott - Chandler, Four Seasons Solar Products and Aloha Motel for temporary stays in the area.