Career and Education Opportunities for Typists in Chandler, Arizona
Typist career and educational opportunities abound in Chandler, Arizona. Currently, 4,690 people work as typists in Arizona. This is expected to shrink 10% to about 4,210 people by 2016. This is not quite as good as the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for typists are expected to shrink by about 5.7%. In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording.
The income of a typist is about $12 per hour or $26,880 annually on average in Arizona. In the U.S. as a whole, their income is about $15 hourly or $31,390 per year on average. Compared with people working in the overall category of Computer Operation, people working as typists in Arizona earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Computer Operation nationally.
There are seventy-seven schools of higher education in the Chandler area, including two within twenty-five miles of Chandler where you can get a degree to start your career as a typist. Given that the most common education level for typists is a high school diploma or GED, it will take only a short time to learn to be a typist if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Typist
In general, typists type letters, reports, or other material from rough draft, corrected copy, or voice recording. They also may perform other clerical duties as assigned.
Typists print and make copies of their work. They also perform other clerical duties such as answering telephone, sorting and distributing mail, running errands or sending faxes. Equally important, typists have to type correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation or previous versions, using a computer or typewriter. They are often called upon to address envelopes or ready envelope labels, using typewriter or computer. They are expected to adjust settings for format and other style requirements. Finally, typists gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions.
Every day, typists are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. It is also important that they move their hands and fingers quickly.
It is important for typists to search for specific sets of stored, typed characters so as to make changes. They are often called upon to compute and verify totals on report forms or bills, using adding machine or calculator. They also keep archives of work performed. They are sometimes expected to transcribe stenotyped notes of court proceedings. Somewhat less frequently, typists are also expected to transmit work electronically to other locations.
Typists sometimes are asked to gather and arrange the material to be typed, following instructions. They also have to be able to reformat documents, moving paragraphs and/or columns And finally, they sometimes have to use data entry devices.
Like many other jobs, typists must be thorough and dependable and have exceptional integrity.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chandler include:
- Computer Clerk. Operate data entry device.
- Computer Systems Support Specialist. Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, and other data according to operating instructions. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages.
- Correspondence Clerk. Compose letters in reply to requests for merchandise, damage claims, credit and other information, delinquent accounts, or unsatisfactory services. Duties may include gathering data to formulate reply and typing correspondence.
- Library Clerk. Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
- Medical Secretary. Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Office Clerk. Perform duties too varied and diverse to be classified in any specific office clerical occupation, requiring limited knowledge of office management systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, stenography, office machine operation, and filing.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Typist Training
Scottsdale Community College - Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Community College, 9000 E Chaparral Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85256. Scottsdale Community College is a large college located in Scottsdale, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,077 students. Scottsdale Community College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services which graduated one student in 2008.
Phoenix College - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix College, 1202 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85013. Phoenix College is a large college located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 10,917 students. Phoenix College has a less than one year program in General Office Occupations and Clerical Services.
Certified Broadcast Captioner: Prove you're on the cutting edge.
For more information, see the National Court Reporters Association website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chandler, Arizona
Chandler is situated in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 247,140, which has grown by 40.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Chandler, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Chandler are priced at $206,800 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred sixty-one new homes were constructed in Chandler, down from 1,002 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Chandler are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 32.5% of Chandler residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chandler is 6.6%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Chandler residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Chandler is home to the Kyrene Gin and the Goodyear Substation as well as West Mine Well Park and Doctor Chandler Memorial Park. Visitors to Chandler can choose from Courtyard by Marriott - Chandler, Four Seasons Solar Products and Aloha Motel for temporary stays in the area.