Career and Education Opportunities for Market Survey Representatives in Chandler, Arizona
If you want to be a market survey representative, the Chandler, Arizona area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. About 940 people are currently employed as market survey representatives in Arizona. By 2016, this is expected to grow by 34% to about 1,250 people employed. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for market survey representatives are expected to grow by about 30.4%. Market survey representatives generally design or conduct surveys.
Income for market survey representatives is about $20 per hour or $42,000 yearly on average in Arizona. Nationally, their income is about $17 per hour or $36,220 yearly. Incomes for market survey representatives are not quite as good as in the overall category of Social Sciences in Arizona, and not quite as good as the overall Social Sciences category nationally. Jobs in this field include: recruiter, field interviewer, and survey analyst.
There are seventy-seven schools of higher education in the Chandler area, including two within twenty-five miles of Chandler where you can get a degree to start your career as a market survey representative. Market survey representatives usually hold a Bachelor's degree, so you can expect to spend about four years training to become a market survey representative if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Market Survey Representative
In general, market survey representatives design or conduct surveys. They also may supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone.
Market survey representatives collaborate with other researchers in the planning and evaluation of surveys. They also ready and present summaries and analyses of survey data and fact sheets that describe survey techniques and results. Equally important, market survey representatives have to analyze data from surveys or case studies, using statistical software. They are often called upon to monitor and evaluate survey progress and performance, using sample disposition reports and response rate calculations. They are expected to conduct surveys and collect data, using methods such as interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, market analysis surveys, public opinion polls and file reviews. Finally, market survey representatives confer with clients to pinpoint survey needs and specific requirements.
Every day, market survey representatives are expected to be able to articulate ideas and problems. They need to write clearly and communicate well. It is also important that they read and understand documents and reports.
It is important for market survey representatives to decide on and specify specifics of survey projects, including sources of data, procedures to be used, and the layout of survey instruments and materials. They are often called upon to support and direct operations for single or multiple surveys. They also direct updates and changes in survey implementation and methods. They are sometimes expected to hire and train recruiters and data collectors. Somewhat less frequently, market survey representatives are also expected to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
and produce documentation of data collection methods and decisions pertaining to sample statistical weighting. And finally, they sometimes have to write training manuals to be used by survey interviewers.
Like many other jobs, market survey representatives must be thorough and dependable and be able to work independently and make decisions on their own.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Chandler include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Study nature and use of areas of earth's surface, relating and interpreting interactions of physical and cultural phenomena. Conduct research on physical aspects of a region, including land forms, climates, soils, plants and animals, and conduct research on the spatial implications of human activities within a given area, including social characteristics, economic activities, and political organization, as well as researching interdependence between regions at scales ranging from local to global.
- Historian. Research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
- Urban Planner. Develop comprehensive plans and programs for use of land and physical facilities of local jurisdictions, such as towns, cities, and metropolitan areas.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Market Survey Representative Training
Mesa Community College - Mesa, AZ
Mesa Community College, 1833 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202. Mesa Community College is a large college located in Mesa, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 23,825 students. Mesa Community College has an associate's degree program in Economics which graduated one student in 2008.
Arizona State University - Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University, , Tempe, AZ 85287. Arizona State University is a large university located in Tempe, Arizona. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 67,082 students and an admission rate of 82%. Arizona State University has bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctor's degree programs in Economics which graduated 133, fourteen, and three students respectively in 2008.
Certified Forensic Interviewer: The objective of this certification program is to create comprehensive, universally accepted professional standards combined with an objective measure of an interviewer's knowledge of those standards.
For more information, see the Center for Interviewer Standards and Assessment Ltd. website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Chandler, Arizona
Chandler is situated in Maricopa County, Arizona. It has a population of over 247,140, which has grown by 40.0% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Chandler, 93, is below the national average. New single-family homes in Chandler are priced at $206,800 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, three hundred sixty-one new homes were constructed in Chandler, down from 1,002 the previous year.
The three big industries for women in Chandler are educational services, health care, and finance and insurance. For men, it is computer and electronic products, construction, and professional, scientific, and technical services. The average commute to work is about 25 minutes. More than 32.5% of Chandler residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.5%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Chandler is 6.6%, which is less than Arizona's average of 9.3%.
The percentage of Chandler residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 39.7%, is less than the national average but more than the state average. The most common religious groups are the Catholic Church, the LDS (Mormon) Church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Chandler is home to the Kyrene Gin and the Goodyear Substation as well as West Mine Well Park and Doctor Chandler Memorial Park. Visitors to Chandler can choose from Courtyard by Marriott - Chandler, Four Seasons Solar Products and Aloha Motel for temporary stays in the area.