Career and Education Opportunities for Historians in Anchorage, Alaska
If you want to be a historian, the Anchorage, Alaska area offers many opportunities both for education and employment. The national trend for historians sees this job pool growing by about 11.5% over the next eight years. Historians generally research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
The average wage in the general category of Social Sciences jobs is $30 per hour or $63,101 per year in Alaska, and an average of $33 per hour or $68,239 per year nationwide. Jobs in this field include: professor, state historical society director, and dance historian.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Anchorage where you can study to be a historian, among four schools of higher education total in the Anchorage area. The most common level of education for historians is a post-Master's certificate. You can expect to spend little over two years training to become a historian if you already have a Bachelor's degree, or a short time if you have a Master's degree.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Historian
In general, historians research, analyze, and interpret the past as recorded in sources, such as government and institutional records, newspapers and other periodicals, photographs, and unpublished manuscripts, such as personal diaries and letters.
Historians trace historical development in a particular field, such as social or diplomatic history. They also gather historical data from sources such as archives and photographs, as well as collect data sources such as books and periodicals. Equally important, historians have to conduct historical research, and publish or present findings and theories. They are often called upon to organize data, and analyze and interpret its authenticity and relative significance. They are expected to organize data for publication and for other means of dissemination. Finally, historians collect detailed data on individuals for use in biographies.
Every day, historians are expected to be able to write clearly and communicate well. They need to read and understand documents and reports. It is also important that they articulate ideas and problems.
It is important for historians to teach and conduct research in colleges and other research agencies and schools. They are often called upon to speak to various groups, organizations, and clubs so as to promote the aims and efforts of historical societies. They also present historical accounts in terms of individuals or social or geographic groupings. They are sometimes expected to advise or confer with individuals and institutions regarding issues such as the historical authenticity of materials or the customs of a specific historical period. Somewhat less frequently, historians are also expected to recommend actions pertaining to historical art.
Historians sometimes are asked to edit historical society publications. and conduct historical research as a basis for the identification and reconstruction of historic places and materials. And finally, they sometimes have to direct efforts of staff working on cataloging and filing materials.
Like many other jobs, historians must have exceptional integrity and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Anchorage include:
- Economist. Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems arising from production and distribution of goods and services. May collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques.
- Industrial Psychologist. Apply principles of psychology to personnel, administration, and marketing problems. Activities may include policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis. May work with management to reorganize the work setting to improve worker productivity.
- Market Research Analyst. Research market conditions in local, regional, or national areas to determine potential sales of a product or service. May gather information on competitors, prices, and methods of marketing and distribution. May use survey results to create a marketing campaign based on regional preferences and buying habits.
- Market Survey Representative. Design or conduct surveys. May supervise interviewers who conduct the survey in person or over the telephone. May present survey results to client.
- School Psychologist. Investigate processes of learning and teaching and develop psychological principles and techniques applicable to educational problems.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Historian Training
University of Alaska Anchorage - Anchorage, AK
University of Alaska Anchorage, 3211 Providence Drive, Anchorage, AK 99508. University of Alaska Anchorage is a large university located in Anchorage, Alaska. It is a public school with primarily 4-year or above programs. It has 16,649 students and an admission rate of 68%. University of Alaska Anchorage has a bachelor's degree program in History which graduated fifty-two students in 2008.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Anchorage, Alaska
Anchorage is located in Anchorage Municipality County, Alaska. It has a population of over 279,243, which has grown by 7.3% in the past ten years. The cost of living index in Anchorage, 89, is well below the national average.
The top three industries for women in Anchorage are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is construction, public administration, and accommodation and food services. The average travel time to work is about 20 minutes. More than 28.9% of Anchorage residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 10.2%, is higher than the state average.
Anchorage is home to the Chugach and the Black Bear Campground as well as Baxter Bog Park and Alaska Railroad Power Reserve. Visitors to Anchorage can choose from Courtyard Anchorage, Creekwood Inn and The Voyager Hotel for temporary stays in the area.