Career and Education Opportunities for Clerks in Montgomery, Alabama
For those living in the Montgomery, Alabama area, there are many career and education opportunities for clerks. The national trend for clerks sees this job pool growing by about 15.3% over the next eight years. Clerks generally compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes.
Income for clerks is about $13 per hour or $27,210 annually on average in Alabama. Nationally, their income is about $14 per hour or $30,950 per year. Earnings for clerks are better than earnings in the general category of Billing and Bookkeeping in Alabama and better than general Billing and Bookkeeping category earnings nationally.
There are twelve schools of higher education in the Montgomery area, including two within twenty-five miles of Montgomery where you can get a degree to start your career as a clerk. Clerks usually hold a high school diploma or GED, so you can expect to spend only a short time studying to be a clerk if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Clerk
In general, clerks compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. They also duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records.
Clerks verify precision of billing data and revise any errors. They also operate typing and billing machines. Equally important, clerks have to contact customers so as to obtain or relay account data. They are often called upon to perform bookkeeping work, including posting data and keeping other archives concerning costs of goods and services and the shipment of goods. Finally, clerks ready itemized statements or invoices; and record amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
Every day, clerks are expected to be able to see details at a very fine level of focus. They need to articulate ideas and problems. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for clerks to resolve discrepancies in accounting reports. They are often called upon to type billing documents and credit forms, using typewriters or computers. They also keep archives of invoices and support documents. They are sometimes expected to inspect documents such as purchase orders or hospital archives so as to compute fees and charges due. Somewhat less frequently, clerks are also expected to consult sources such as rate books and insurance company representatives in order to establish specific charges and data such as rules and government tax and tariff data.
Clerks sometimes are asked to compile reports of cost factors, such as labor and equipment. They also have to be able to inspect compiled data on operating costs and revenues so as to set rates And finally, they sometimes have to operate typing and billing machines.
Like many other jobs, clerks must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Montgomery include:
- Bookkeeper. Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Broker Assistant. Perform clerical duties involving the purchase or sale of securities. Duties include writing orders for stock purchases and sales, computing transfer taxes, verifying stock transactions, accepting and delivering securities, tracking stock price fluctuations, computing equity, and keeping records of daily transactions and holdings.
- Gaming Cashier. Conduct financial transactions for patrons in gaming establishments. May reconcile daily summaries of transactions to balance books. Accept patron's credit application and verify credit references to provide check-cashing authorization or to establish house credit accounts. May sell gambling chips, tokens, or tickets to patrons, or to other workers for resale to patrons. May convert gaming chips, tokens, or tickets to currency upon patron's request. May use a cash register or computer to record transaction.
- Payroll Machine Operator. Operate machines that automatically perform mathematical processes, such as addition, subtraction, and division, to calculate and record billing, accounting, and other numerical data. Duties include operating special billing machines to prepare statements, bills, and invoices, and operating bookkeeping machines to copy and post data, make computations, and compile records of transactions.
- Secretary. Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
- Statement Clerk. Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Clerk Training
H Councill Trenholm State Technical College - Montgomery, AL
H Councill Trenholm State Technical College, 1225 Air Base Blvd, Montgomery, AL 36108-3199. H Councill Trenholm State Technical College is a small college located in Montgomery, Alabama. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 1,309 students. H Councill Trenholm State Technical College has less than one year, one to two year, and associate's degree programs in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated zero, two, and one students respectively in 2008.
Community College of the Air Force - Montgomery, AL
Community College of the Air Force, 130 W Maxwell Blvd, Montgomery, AL 36112-6613. college located in Montgomery, Alabama. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 321,775 students. Community College of the Air Force has an associate's degree program in Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping which graduated 273 students in 2008.
Certified Medical Coder: Experienced medical office professionals with exceptional coding skills are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Coder (CMC) exam.
For more information, see the Practice Management Institute website.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Montgomery, Alabama
Montgomery is situated in Montgomery County, Alabama. It has a population of over 202,696, which has grown by 0.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Montgomery, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Montgomery are valued at $129,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, two hundred seventy-eight new homes were built in Montgomery, down from six hundred nineteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Montgomery are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is public administration, construction, and educational services. The average travel time to work is about 20 minutes. More than 29.4% of Montgomery residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Montgomery is 10.1%, which is less than Alabama's average of 10.7%.
The percentage of Montgomery residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.6%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Big Roxanna Church, William African Methodist Episcopal Zion Chapel and Whitfield Memorial United Methodist Church are some of the churches located in Montgomery. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Churches of Christ.
Montgomery is home to the Montgomery Public Library and the Booker T Washington Community Center as well as Old Selma Road Park and Montgomery East Exchange Park. Shopping centers in the area include Montgomery East Plaza Shopping Center, Montgomery Mall Shopping Center and Norman Bridge South Shopping Center. Visitors to Montgomery can choose from Relax Inn, Islander and Towne Place Suites by Marriott for temporary stays in the area.