Career and Education Opportunities for Boat Mechanics in Montgomery, Alabama
There are many career and education opportunities for boat mechanics in the Montgomery, Alabama area. There are currently 330 working boat mechanics in Alabama; this should grow by 17% to about 390 working boat mechanics in the state by 2016. This is better than the nation as a whole, where employment opportunities for boat mechanics are expected to grow by about 5.6%. In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics earn approximately $15 per hour or $31,540 per year on average in Alabama. Nationally they average about $16 hourly or $34,520 annually. Compared with people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment, people working as boat mechanics in Alabama earn less. They earn less than people working in the overall category of Specialized Equipment nationally.
There is one school within twenty-five miles of Montgomery where you can study to be a boat mechanic, among twelve schools of higher education total in the Montgomery area. The most common level of education for boat mechanics is a post-secondary certificate. You can expect to spend a short time studying to be a boat mechanic if you already have a high school diploma.
CAREER DESCRIPTION: Boat Mechanic
In general, boat mechanics repairs and adjusts electrical and mechanical equipment of gasoline or diesel powered inboard or inboard-outboard boat engines.
Boat mechanics disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges. They also examine and repair or adjust propellers and propeller shafts. Equally important, boat mechanics have to idle motors and observe thermometers to establish the effectiveness of cooling systems. They are often called upon to document inspection and test results, and work performed or to be performed. They are expected to mount motors to boats and operate boats at various speeds on waterways to conduct operational tests. Finally, boat mechanics repair or rework parts, using machine tools such as lathes and grinders.
Every day, boat mechanics are expected to be able to evaluate problems as they arise. They need to control objects and devices with precise control. It is also important that they listen to and understand others in meetings.
It is important for boat mechanics to adjust generators and remove faulty wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons. Somewhat less frequently, boat mechanics are also expected to start motors, and monitor performance for signs of malfunctioning such as smoke and misfiring.
And finally, they sometimes have to disassemble and inspect motors to identify faulty parts, using mechanic's hand tools and gauges.
Like many other jobs, boat mechanics must be thorough and dependable and be reliable.
Similar jobs with educational opportunities in Montgomery include:
- Bus or Truck Garage Mechanic. Diagnose, adjust, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile diesel engines.
- Heating Equipment Installer. Install, service, and repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences and commercial establishments.
- Household Appliance Repairer. Repair, adjust, or install all types of electric or gas household appliances, such as refrigerators, washers, and ovens.
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic. Repair, install, or maintain industrial production and processing machinery or refinery and pipeline distribution systems.
- Machine Repairman. Lubricate machinery, change parts, or perform other routine machinery maintenance.
- Mechanical Door Repairer. Install, service, or repair opening and closing mechanisms of automatic doors and hydraulic door closers. Includes garage door mechanics.
- Medical Equipment Repairer. Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment.
- Millwright. Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
- Refrigeration Mechanic. Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Signal and Track Switch Repairer. Install, inspect, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Boat Mechanic Training
J F Ingram State Technical College - Deatsville, AL
J F Ingram State Technical College, 5375 Ingram Rd, Deatsville, AL 36022. J F Ingram State Technical College is a small college located in Deatsville, Alabama. It is a public school with primarily 2-year programs and has 621 students. J F Ingram State Technical College has a less than one year program in Marine Maintenance/Fitter & Ship Repair Technology/Technician.
LOCATION INFORMATION: Montgomery, Alabama
Montgomery is situated in Montgomery County, Alabama. It has a population of over 202,696, which has grown by 0.6% over the last ten years. The cost of living index in Montgomery, 83, is well below the national average. New single-family homes in Montgomery are valued at $129,500 on average, which is well below the state average. In 2008, two hundred seventy-eight new homes were built in Montgomery, down from six hundred nineteen the previous year.
The three most popular industries for women in Montgomery are health care, educational services, and public administration. For men, it is public administration, construction, and educational services. The average travel time to work is about 20 minutes. More than 29.4% of Montgomery residents have a bachelor's degree, which is higher than the state average. The percentage of residents with a graduate degree, 11.3%, is higher than the state average.
The unemployment rate in Montgomery is 10.1%, which is less than Alabama's average of 10.7%.
The percentage of Montgomery residents that are affiliated with a religious congregation, 50.6%, is more than the national average but less than the state average. Big Roxanna Church, William African Methodist Episcopal Zion Chapel and Whitfield Memorial United Methodist Church are some of the churches located in Montgomery. The largest religious groups are the Southern Baptist Convention, the United Methodist Church and the Churches of Christ.
Montgomery is home to the Montgomery Public Library and the Booker T Washington Community Center as well as Old Selma Road Park and Montgomery East Exchange Park. Shopping centers in the area include Montgomery East Plaza Shopping Center, Montgomery Mall Shopping Center and Norman Bridge South Shopping Center. Visitors to Montgomery can choose from Relax Inn, Islander and Towne Place Suites by Marriott for temporary stays in the area.